After more than four decades of involvement, in nearly, every area, of leading, including, leadership planning, identifying, qualifying, training, developing, and consulting to well over a thousand, actual, and/ or, potential leaders, and personally, serving as a leader, for various groups, etc, I have come to realize, too many, are, not, ready, willing, and/ or able, to pay sufficient attention, to an organization’s FINANCES. Unless/ until, one proceeds, in a fiscally, responsible, responsive way, he is not effectively leading! With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic appoach, what this means, and why, it’s such an essential factor.
1. Future; furnish; fruition; face facts: A real leader, not only, pays keen attention, to the present challenges, but, to the best future, he might furnish, for his organization! He must, with an open – mind, face the facts, and, do, whatever is best, for, both, the relevance, and sustainability, of his group!
2. Ideas; imagination: Great leaders have quality ideas. They do not merely see things, as they are (or seem), but, rather, have the imagination, to proceed, with an open – mind, to provide the finest representation, and service. Doing this responsibly, requires, considering financial implications, and proceeding, in a realistic manner!
3. Needs: How a leader, considers, needs, goals, and priorities, and addresses these, while factoring – in, the financial/ fiscal realities, often, determines, how well and meaningfully, he will proceed!
4. Attitude; aptitude; attention: Great leaders possess a positive, can – do, attitude, and a willingness, to see the options, in a realistic manner. They develop the necessary aptitude, and skill – set, so they might, also, obtain the most, bang – for – the – buck. This, often, requires, a willingness, and ability, to pay keen attention, to the viable options and alternatives!
5. Nerve; nuances: Leading means having the nerve, to do, what lesser leaders, aren’t willing to do, and addressing the specific nuances, of the specific group!
6. Create/ creative; character; coordinate: What one seeks to create, and how, he does, so, in a creative way, so, to proceed, in a fiscally responsible manner, is a strong indicator to whether he has the quality of character, needed! This individual must be ready, and able, to coordinate, and balance, the relationship, between what’s needed, and financial realities!
7. Empathy; emphasis; energize; excellence: If you hope to lead, you must proceed, to effectively listen, and learn from every conversation, and experience, in order to proceed, with the utmost degree of genuine empathy! A great leader energizes others, and demands his utmost degree of personal excellence!
8. Service; sustainable solutions: How can anyone provide the level of service, needed, and necessary, unless he, focuses on providing the finest, sustainable solutions?
If you hope to be a successful, effective, meaningful leader, you must be ready, willing, prepared, and able, to focus on FINANCES. Are you prepared?